"I love women," is not a get out of jail free card. Thicke pulled the same bullshit when he was accused of degrading women in "Blurred Lines": "When we made the song, we had nothing but the most respect for women," he said. How nice of you to say so, Mr. Thicke. Alas, your work shows the opposite to be true. I am fairly certain many of the men who buy sex and consume porn also think they do it because they really, really, love women. NOPE. You love women like I love wine — as something I consume selfishly for my personal benefit and as a product.
Q:ooh, can you tell me abt why joss whedon is being hypocritical when he talks about feminism?? i've watched some of his shitty speeches where he thinks he's being ''feminist' but i feel like i'm missing something else w/ him being awful
oh boy alright buckle up friend this is gonna be a bumpy ride
- despite the fact that buffy the vampire slayer is set in california, a region of the country with a huge latin@ population, he erases them from his work completely
- he completely erases asian characters from firefly while still appropriating their language and culture to benefit his white (and black) cast
- he whitewashes asian characters in both firefly and buffy
- he goes on and on about how he loves his ladies!!! he writes strong women bc ppl still ask why he feels the need to!!!!!! and then he repeatedly punishes them for that strength with death, mental illness, threats of rape or sexual assault, forced impregnation, death of their loved ones, and other forms of abuse
- on that note, if u name a lead female character in one of his shows odds r u’ll find their entire narrative is a rape allegory. in buffy, the first slayer was forced into her role by men who thought they knew better what the world needed than she did and literally did not care what she wanted. this power is then passed from generation to generation without any notion of consent, and each generation of slayers is repeatedly subjected to violence and brutalized and, as u know from watching the show, prbly dies horribly. in angel, cordelia is forceably given doyle’s (incredibly painful) visions after he dies, using the age-old receptacle of a kiss she didn’t want. in firefly, river is kidnapped by some shady government project, tortured and lobotomized and experimented on, and then released back into the world as some sort of super powered murder machine. (i’m not even gonna talk about the repeated threats of rape against inara and kaylee; i talked about this a little bit in this post). not a single character in dollhouse is capable of informed consent.
- this post also includes a link to a discussion w joss whedon about what would have happened to inara if the series had continued, wherein he talks about how her story arc’s pinnacle achievement would have been where she was kidnapped and gang raped by reavers, except w the delightful fact that she takes some sort of drug that automatically kills her rapists!!!! which, first of all, doesn’t even make sense, and second of all is just so fucking gross i have no words.
- his run on x-men is super infantilizing and slut-shaming
- he fired charisma carpenter from angel bc she got pregnant, and then, after signing a contract stating she wouldn’t be brought back just for cordelia to be killed, brought her back from the 100th episode and killed cordelia
- in buffy the only queer ppl who matter r his (cis white) lesbians, which, while a nice change from the norm (that being that the only queer ppl who matter r cis white gay men), is gross bc a) gay men r used as props and jokes and b) buffy’s potential bisexuality was used to titillate dudes and sell the comics.
- i don’t have any links for this, but his run on the runaways was apparently rly gross and transmisogynistic.
- this is a rly gr8 post on rape and sexual consent in the world of buffy and angel.
i hope this helps
But not all men are like that!!!!!
[TW: rape culture, sexual assault, objectification]
men and boys literally can not seem to empathize with women (because i swear to god if melinda was a male character and everything else was the same the boys would not be asking that question)
not wearing make up is one of the ways that psychologists determine if a woman is mentally healthy
Male Police officers have arrested women for resisting their advances with no initial punishment (until activists spoke up)
and this is just what i can think of recently. There is so so so so so much more
A feminist and an anti-feminist walk into a bar. They sit down and have a drink together because they’re adults who don’t let personal views effect their decisions on who they should or should not associate with.
can’t wait to go willingly spend my time with people who hold toxic views and treat me and my friends like garbage so that someone online thinks i’m an adult
In an larger earlier study (from which the participants of the PNAS study were a subset), the same research team compellingly demonstrated that the sex differences in the psychological skills they measured – executive control, memory, reasoning, spatial processing, sensorimotor skills, and social cognition – are almost all trivially small.
To give a sense of the huge overlap in behaviour between males and females, of the twenty-six possible comparisons, eleven sex differences were either non-existent, or so small that if you were to select a boy and girl at random and compare their scores on a task, the “right” sex would be superior less than 53% of the time.
Even the much-vaunted female advantage in social cognition, and male advantage in spatial processing, was so modest that a randomly chosen boy would outscore a randomly chosen girl on social cognition – and the girl would outscore the boy on spatial processing – over 40% of the time.
[…]Yet the authors describe these differences as “pronounced” and as reflecting “behavioural complementarity” – scientific jargon-speak for “men are from Mars, women are from Venus”. Rather than drawing on their impressively rich data-set to empirically test questions about how brain connectivity characteristics relate to behaviour, the authors instead offer untested stereotype-based speculation.
I have read (I think from Myths of Gender in my college Women’s Studies class) that, in general, the differences between the average man and the average woman are much less than the spectrum of difference within either gender. So in the example of height, while the average woman might be a few inches shorter than the average man, the shortest woman is MUCH shorter than the tallest woman and the shortest man is MUCH shorter than the tallest man. We are more similar than we are different.
What men mean when they talk about their “crazy” ex-girlfriend is often that she was someone who cried a lot, or texted too often, or had an eating disorder, or wanted too much/too little sex, or generally felt anything beyond the realm of emotionally undemanding agreement. That does not make these women crazy. That makes those women human beings, who have flaws, and emotional weak spots. However, deciding that any behavior that he does not like must be insane– well, that does make a man a jerk.
And when men do this on a regular basis, remember that, if you are a woman, you are not the exception. You are not so cool and fabulous and levelheaded that they will totally get where you are coming from when you show emotions other than “pleasant agreement.”
When men say “most women are crazy, but not you, you’re so cool” the subtext is not, “I love you, be the mother to my children.” The subtext is “do not step out of line, here.” If you get close enough to the men who say things like this, eventually, you will do something that they do not find pleasant. They will decide you are crazy, because this is something they have already decided about women in general.
i will always reblog this. it is so, so important to remember.
I used to say (in my teenage years) “boys are stupid and girls are crazy.” I would like to apologize right now to everyone who ever heard me say that.
Q:What does Wario think of "Feminists" Who believe that women are superior to men and Female > Male instead of y'know wanting equal rights and all that?
All that stuff you’ve been hearing about college grads falling behind, and student loans killing the middle class? Yeah, that shit’s for real.
Let’s all pay attention to the scale on that there Y-axis, as well. There is a $20,000 difference between men and women. Twenty. Thousand. Dollars.
Tell me we don’t need feminism and I’ll just keep showing you stuff like this.
Not only that, but the highest point on the women’s graph is still fucking lower than the lowest point on the men’s graph. Fuck the world.
Mhm. I clicked through to see the graph bigger so I could read the numbers; men went from 73k in 2000 to 59k in 2010 (about 81% of their best). Women went from 56k in 2003 to about 47k in both 2005 and 2010 (about 83% of their best). Women’s best is about 77% of men’s (there’s that 77% figure again), and women’s worst about 80% of men’s.
They don’t break it out over race, unfortunately.
Also women’s pay has basically been stagnant 2007-2010, so over that period, men made more even if you normalize to their minimum/2010 pay.
She had stayed a virgin so she wouldn’t be called a tramp or a slut; had married so she wouldn’t be called an old maid; faked orgasms so she wouldn’t be called frigid; had children so she wouldn’t be called barren; had not been a feminist because she didn’t want to be called queer and a man-hater; never nagged or raised her voice so she wouldn’t be called a bitch… She had done all that and yet, still, this stranger had dragged her into the gutter with the names that men call women when they are angry.
Q:What are feminist ideals?
i just want a television show where a male character says “you’re not like other girls” and the female character is like “what the fuck is wrong with other girls”
remember that one part in the disreputable history of frankie landau-banks where the guy she likes tells her he likes her because she’s not like other girls, that she knows how to take a compliment and other girls are always down on themselves, and she thinks “fuck you, I can feel insecure and express that if I fucking feel like it” (I’m paraphrasing here)
anyway that’s an awesome book
I wrote a thing about some of the skeptic community’s (not too encouraging) responses to chronic pain conditions. A sample:
The skeptical community, it seems to me, isn’t much of an improvement as far as including people with disabilities and chronic health conditions goes. Whether it’s Dawkins-style puffery on which health conditions “actually exist” versus which are “somatization disorders” or, say, discussions of chronic illnesses that reduce said illnesses to strictly theoretical exercises instead of things (albeit misunderstood things) that impact peoples’ lives, there appears to be an unwillingness to make space for–and listen to–people with those very conditions.
annaham writes great things and you should all read them.
yes and yes