There are female athletes who will be competing at the Olympic Games this summer after undergoing treatment to make them less masculine.
Still others are being secretly investigated for displaying overly manly characteristics, as sport’s highest medical officials attempt to quantify — and regulate — the hormonal difference between male and female athletes.
Caster Semenya, the South African runner who was so fast and muscular that many suspected she was a man, exploded onto the front pages three years ago. She was considered an outlier, a one-time anomaly.
But similar cases are emerging all over the world, and Semenya, who was banned from competition for 11 months while authorities investigated her sex, is back, vying for gold.
Semenya and other women like her face a complex question: Does a female athlete whose body naturally produces unusually high levels of male hormones, allowing them to put on more muscle mass and recover faster, have an “unfair” advantage?
In a move critics call “policing femininity,” recent rule changes by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the governing body of track and field, state that for a woman to compete, her testosterone must not exceed the male threshold.
If it does, she must have surgery or receive hormone therapy prescribed by an expert IAAF medical panel and submit to regular monitoring. So far, at least a handful of athletes — the figure is confidential — have been prescribed treatment, but their numbers could increase. Last month, the International Olympic Committee began the approval process to adopt similar rules for the Games.
There’s a lot going on here, but here’s what jumped out at us immediately: Women, particularly women athletes, are constantly told they’re not as strong or fast as men—and now that they’re proving otherwise, they’re being forced to undergo hormone treatments. We don’t think it’s a coincidence that women of color are coming under fire for this more than white women. From the article: “Lindsay Perry, another scientist, says sometimes whole teams of African women are dead ringers for men.” This is a clear example of how we’ve constructed a very particular, very narrow ideal of femininity and womanhood that devalues and casts aside black women in particular.
bolded for emphasis
while authorities investigated her sex
what the actual fuck
5769 Notes/ Hide
- stewardish likes this
- jangma reblogged this from thoughtsnotunveiled
- ihaveamightyrage reblogged this from annlarimer
- definitelynotpie likes this
- whatevertron likes this
- bradkey reblogged this from 101st-analborne
- jaunty-cavalcades reblogged this from some-dude-called-jab
- explosivbacon reblogged this from will2bill
- stop-that-right-now reblogged this from skinny-butt
- roaming-on-eggshells reblogged this from thingssheloves
- forest-mazeofnostalgia reblogged this from disabledbyculture
- skinny-butt reblogged this from will2bill
- skinny-butt likes this
- because-jerri likes this
- explosivbacon likes this
- will2bill reblogged this from thelilleprechaun
- ojphoenix likes this
- thelilleprechaun reblogged this from bitka-goyke
- dharmabloom reblogged this from albinwonderland
- ebbywaffle likes this
- bitka-goyke reblogged this from adventuresofcomicbookgirl
- inbedwithbooks reblogged this from yahighway
- stickmarionette likes this
- cyborgbutterflies likes this
- miss-lavender-cutie reblogged this from marisa-kirisame
- joannablackhart reblogged this from marisa-kirisame
- december6th2013 likes this
- belformas likes this
- marisa-kirisame reblogged this from voreyeur
- haroldplumage likes this
- voreyeur reblogged this from harukami
- chlosephalump reblogged this from chanyeol-u-can-eat
- flherg reblogged this from theguilteaparty
- 7-83 likes this
- mon-la-ala-ile reblogged this from brandx
- mon-la-ala-ile likes this
- tommka reblogged this from thingssheloves
- haohao reblogged this from hanniehyu
- haohao likes this
- hanniehyu reblogged this from bonerrmana
- delightfullyderanged likes this
- ineffablefestivus reblogged this from vonizzix
- chooseyourenemies reblogged this from hymenopterror
- rachaelmckinnon reblogged this from soaringthroughskies
- soaringthroughskies reblogged this from sparkamovement and added:
- soaringthroughskies likes this
- greywatch reblogged this from joanofarch
- esoterria reblogged this from artemisbarnowl
- stubbornlittlefuck reblogged this from thingssheloves